Graceful I am not, which was proven again this morning when I tried to hop on the bus and fell flat on my face. It was 8:30 on a weekday morning, so the bus was pretty full and I heard a chorus of sympathetic/schaudenfreude oooohs. The top came off my giant mug of tea, which spilled everywhere and I banged my knee pretty hard, but other than that I was okay. Here's the play version of the rest of the story:
Bus Driver: Are you alright?
Me: Sorry for spilling all over your bus.
Bus Driver: It's okay. It happens all the time. I'm more worried about you.
Me: Oh, thanks. I'm fine. Just embarrassed.
Man on Bus: Are you okay?
Me: Yeah, I'm okay.
Woman on Bus: I'm sure it happens to people all the time.
Me: Yeah. I just got my sandals re-soled and I think that's why I tripped. I think the new soles are thicker.
Woman on Bus: Oh yes. I'm sure that's what it was. (Smiles big and encouragingly, I would even go so far as to say indulgently.)
Man on Bus: What's worse than tripping is losing your morning coffee!
Me: No kidding!
Woman on Bus: I would say so! (Smiles indulgently again.)
Man on Bus: I've got a big thermos of coffee here. Would you like some?
Me: Really?
Man on Bus: Sure! I put hot chocolate in it, so it's pretty sweet. Is that okay?
Me: Sure! Thanks!
(Man on Bus pours coffee and it is not too sweet.)
END OF PLAY
I know what you're thinking: Did she really drink coffee from a stranger? Reader, I did. It tasted like kindness.
Wednesday, June 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
People in Seattle are weird. Nobody laughed? Are you sure they aren't robots? Did the coffee turn you into a robot? I hope so. I love robots.
Post a Comment