My original blog name was "Diary of a Neurotic White Woman". I spent a lot of time on this whole mock Diary of a Mad Black Woman thing and then decided it was tacky and nobody who saw that movie would think it was worth a parody anyway. I mean, it was a really bad movie. I just think I'm neurotic, so I thought I'd go with it. But then I thought, is calling yourself neurotic like calling yourself crazy? You know, like in that way when people are like, "Oh my gosh, I'm soooo crazy!" Because that kind of annoys me.
So I thought I'd go with something more obvious, which is that I'm doing this whole librarian thing right now. The director of the Copenhagen Public Library guest lectured in one of my classes a few days ago and told us how they have this program now where patrons can "check out" a librarian for a few hours to help them do research or teach them how to use some database. I thought that was pretty cool. So I thought I'd call the blog "I'm a Librarian: Check Me Out", but after a few days I decided that's sort of a lame pun. (Grin actually was the one who informed me it's a sort of lame pun.) (She also reminded me that I'd thought of it before a long time ago, only I think I said "Forget the books! Check out the librarian!" or something like that.) (Also there's a shirt at cafepress.com with a big barcode on it that says CHECK ME OUT.)
So I'm back at square one and I'm thinking, "What makes me special?" I just read this book Stumbling on Happiness and one of the things the author says is that everyone thinks they're more special than they actually are. By "special" I mean "distinct from most other human beings." Yes, everyone is unique. But it's also true that we're pretty similar in most ways. We just focus on our differences. I'm off topic now.
Oh yeah. The thing is, I don't know why we all have to believe we're special. Most of us are going to have pretty ordinary lives. When I have children, I don't know if I'll tell them that they are the most special children in the world. I think I'll probably say, "You're special to me because you're my kids, and if you want to, you can do extraordinary things, but I want you to know that it's ok to be ordinary, too."
I think I'm thinking about this because of what happened with Sylar and his mom on Heroes. I'll probably change the title of my blog again next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I really liked "I'm a Libraian Check Me Out" I gotta say, Grin is wrong on that one. Besides, I dare you to show me a pun that isn't lame.... you can't do it. That's the whole freaking point of a pun.
The truth always wins out in the end. Or at least it should.
Post a Comment